Wednesday 10 June 2015

Savory Rosemary Almond Loaf Bread

Whenever I do my weekly shopping trip I always make sure to throw in a few bags of fresh herbs. I don't particuarly have any plans for what to do with the herbs, but I can't count the number of times I've pulled up a recipe for something that looks mouthwatering only to realize that I'm missing crucial fresh ingredients.


If I were a more organized person I probably would have gotten around to growing my own at home. In the past I've bought a few potted basil plants, but I'm so heavy handed with basil that we just ended up with a pot of dirt sitting on the kitchen table for a couple weeks. In the end I figured I may as well buy the bags and save myself the hassle of wiping dirt off the table every day. I'll get around to it....eventually.


This week I ended up with an extra bag of rosemary and a hankering for a piece of bread which lead me to come up with this recipe for a grain free rosemary and almond flour bread. I could have made my usual Gluten Free French Bread - by far my most popular recipe that I've ever put up. To be honest though, I've been trying to cut down on grains in my diet. Mike could do without the extra inflammation and I'm always a much happier, energetic person when I clean up my diet a bit.



If you're new to gluten free/grain free baking you may be a bit thrown off by seeing the psyllium husk listed in the ingredients (psyllium, said like silly-um). It can usually be found in health stores because of its useful attributes in lowering LDL cholesterol over time and its gentle laxative effects. Not bad. Psyllium husk in gluten free baking assists in both the rise and binding of ingredients. Think xanthan gum without the stomach upset. So in addition to being free of sugars, grain, and other potential gut irritants, this savory bread is also packed with heart healthy fiber and nutrient dense flours.

You won't be thinking about any other bread when this is fresh out of the oven with the a slab of butter melting into the crust and the scent of rosemary wafts through the air.




print recipe

Savory Rosemary Almond Bread
A savory rich bread made from a blend of nutrient dense flours and fiber rich ingredients tied together with the earthy aroma of fresh rosemary.
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups (144 grams) Almond Flour
  • 1/2 cup (61 grams) Tapioca Flour
  • 3 tablespoons (21 grams) Coconut Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Tablespoon Psyllium Husk
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped Fresh Rosemary
  • 3 tablespoons (1.5 fll) Hot Water
  • 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1/2 cup (4 fl) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350 F
2. In a small bowl mix together your psyllium husk and hot water. Stir until throughly mixed. Set it aside to gel up. 
3. In a large mixing bowl sift together the remainder of your dry ingredients plus the chopped rosemary. 
4. In another mixing bowl beat together your eggs until the become a light yellow and slightly frothy. Add the olive oil, the ACV, and the gelled up psyllium husk and stir until smooth. 
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine. When mixed scoop your mixture into a lined or greased load tin and place it in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. When the top is a nice golden brown and the bread doesn't jiggle when you move it you know it's done.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment