Friday 12 June 2015

Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter with Sea Salt

I may not still be in America, but if you think for one second that I'm going to let National Peanut Butter Cookie Day pass me by you are out of your mind. I love that there are days that exist as an excuse for us to all stuff our face with sweets.



I've never come across a peanut butter cookie I didn't like. Now that could just be me and my preference for peanut butter based cookies, or that could simply be that fact that peanut butter added to cookies amp up the taste factor no matter what.

The great thing about PB cookies is that they are one of the easiest cookie you can ever make, usually only require minimal ingredients. The bad thing about  PB cookies - they are so easy and tasty that you'll be tempted to make these all the time. At least that's bad for me and my lack of self control.



I think after this week I'll need to give it a rest with the sweets for a bit, as deep as my love for baking is. Trying to work out the kinks for this recipe I ended up making at least four batches of cookies to come up with just the right variation. In an effort to nix the grains and refined sugars I had to test a few different kinds to come up with what I think is the best one.


In the end, I decided on using coconut sugar as the sweetener of choice. I prefer the crumbly, melt-in- your mouth texture that coconut sugar provided. It's also lower on the glycemic index scale which I especially like. If you don't have coconut sugar and you're not so concerned about regular sugar, you can sub it for a 1-1 ratio. You can also substitute the coconut sugar for either maple syrup or honey, in which case you should reduce the amount from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. If you use a liquid sweetener, just expect to come out with cookies that are much more moist.




print recipe
Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies with Sea Salt
What's better than peanut butter cookies? Peanut butter cookies stuffed with nutella and sprinkled with sea salt. Salty, sweet, and delicious!
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (250 grams) Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 cup (170 grams) Coconut Sugar
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • about 1/4 cup (for stuffing) Refrigerated Nutella (homemade or store bought)
  • 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
  • for sprinking Sea Salt
Instructions
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl mix together the peanut butter and sugar. Then add in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda until combined. 
2. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F 
3. Roll teaspoon sized balls of peanut butter onto a cookie sheet. Scoop about 1/2 teaspoon of nutella and place in the center of each ball. If you refrigerate your nutella before handling this part won't be nearly as messy. Once you have a little ball of nutella in the center of each cookie dough ball, take a little bit more of the peanut butter dough on sandwich the nutella in the center of the dough and roll it into a ball. 
4. Bake for 10-14 minutes and remove from the oven to cool. 
5. As the cookies cool, melt your chocolate chips over the stove top on the lowest possible heat. Stir constantly to prevent from burning. Once the chocolate is almost entirely melted, remove from heat. The chocolate will continue to melt without burning. While it's still hot, begin to drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. Sprinkle with sea salt over each cookie, and enjoy!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12-14 Bite Sized Cookies

You can also check out my almond butter cookies is you want a paleo option, or my very popular peanut butter oatmeal squares for an even easier recipe.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I can't wait to try these!

    I recently made a cooking and baking blog, too.
    http://kcolescreativecorner.com
    I would greatly appreciate it if you would check it out!
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I hope you like them! I will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete