Saturday 30 May 2015

Simple Coconut Flour Pancakes

If there is one meal that I can always count on to be fuss free - it's breakfast. Mike and I are bacon and eggs kind of people, and I love it that way. It just makes mornings so much easier. Everyone knows that bacon is basically natures candy, and eggs are the easiest things in the world to season right. I'll chop up and throw in whatever left over veggies are found in the fridge, and I'm full for hours - no mid morning snack required.

Some mornings, however, I just need something a little different.



























Whether it's a lazy Saturday morning or another special occasion, sometimes I like throwing together something a little different from my normal routine. And what screams 'breakfast!' more than eggs and bacon?


Pancakes, of course.

For those days that I'm looking to spice things up a bit, I always use this as my go to recipe. It's basic, it's ready in under 30 minutes, and it has straight forward ingredients. I'm all for experimenting with exotic recipes, but I also like to just keep it simple with something tried and true.

As much as I prefer using almond flour over coconut flour, I think the coconut plays nice with the rest of my ingredients to create thick, filling pancakes without being too heavy. Not to mention, the high fiber content of coconut flour still leaves me feeling full, so I'm not hungry a few hours later like I would be if I were eating regular pancakes. I typically use almond milk for these bad boy, but you can use with coconut milk/dairy milk as well. Coconut milk and higher fat dairy will give you denser pancakes if that's what you prefer.



A couple things to know before trying these out:

1. Coconut flour is extremely absorbent (the reason behind needing four eggs). If you batter is too runny, add the coconut flour teaspoons at a time because it is very easy to go from not enough flour to too much.

2. I say the honey is optional out of preference. I've been trying to incorporate less sugar in our diets so I'm used to not having things quite so sweet. If that isn't a worry for you, have at it.

Enjoy!


print recipe

Coconut Flour Pancakes
A simple, grain free, low carb pancake recipe.
Ingredients
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 cup (240 ml) Almond Milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1-2 tablespoon Honey Optional*
  • 1/2 cup (56 grams) Coconut Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda (Bicarbonate Soda)
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • Coconut Oil for frying
Instructions
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together your eggs until they become slightly frothy. Then add the remainder of your wet ingredients to the eggs, mix everything together and then set aside for later. 
2. In small mixing bowl, sift together your dry ingredients until they are thoroughly mixed and there are no lumps. 
3. Pour your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and stir until you no longer have any remaining lumps. Let your pancake batter rest for a few minutes as you warm up your skillet on a low-medium heat with the oil. 
4. Ladle your batter onto the skillet to form the pancakes, about 3 inches in diameter. I used a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to scoop an even amount for each pancake. 
5. Fry for 2-3 minutes on one side. You will know when to flip your pancake when the side facing up begins to bubble slightly and begin to look dry. Fry for an additional 2-3 minutes on the next side or until your pancake is golden brown.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 3-4 servings about 10 pancakes 3 in diameter




No comments:

Post a Comment