Monday 25 May 2015

Juicy Turkey Burgers - Low Fodmap, Paleo, & AIP adaptable

You'd have thought that after keeping vigilant for over a year about gluten, gluten containing products, and even gluten cross contamination that I would think twice about haphazardly throwing anything in my shopping basket without flipping it over and reading the ingredient label. Everything has gluten in it...seriously everything.

But no. Even after all this time, I still slip up with checking my labels.



Just yesterday I returned home from my weekly shop with a couple of organic beef burgers that I was planning on making for tea. Like the virtuously frugal shopper that I am, I always make a beeline for the clearance section of any shopping center to snag potential deals - the clearance fish and meat section at Sainsbury's is no exception. Buying organic meat is by no means cheap, but a major priority for Mike and I, so I always make sure to grab whatever organics they might have to freeze for later meals.

It was only after I returned home when Mike asked if I checked the hamburgers for gluten that I even thought about it. Of course the burgers has wheat in them...as I said earlier e v e r y t h i n g has gluten. Or so it seems. It's a cheap filler and an easy binder, so of course it's going to pop up in even the most unexpected of places.

Thankfully, it was on clearance so really we're not down much money. It also serves as a reminder to stay vigilant  when it comes to buying food *Alastor Moody voice in my head shouting 'CONSTANT VIGILANCE'*. Fortunately, I prefer to make most things from scratch anyways. Homemade food always tastes better in my opinion.

Another plus is that we instead ended up having these delicious, juicy turkey burgers. I honestly don't think I've ever had a juicier burger. The carrot and courgette offer up the perfect amount of moisture without you even realizing they are in there, which is perfect become Mike always goes on about disliking carrots, but he has no problem putting these burgers away two at a time. Given the amount of ingredients and effort it takes to throw it all together (very little), it also ranks high on the flavor meter.


I was feelin' fancy so I decided to throw together a few grain free burger buns and homemade mayo, but you can also wrap it up in lettuce or serve on a bed of greens if you need to keep it AIP friendly. Make sure to get a higher fat turkey mince for these burgers because the fat is key to getting the most moisture and flavor for your burger.



print recipe

Juicy Turkey Burgers
Delicious turkey burger packed with hidden veggies for maximum juiciness.
Ingredients
  • 1 pound Ground Turkey (aim for at least 7% fat)
  • 1 large Courgette
  • 1 large Carrot
  • 1 teaspoon Sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black ground pepper
  • 1 Egg (sub gelatin egg if AIP)
  • Additional herbs optional
  • Coconut Oil or ghee for frying
Instructions
1. Grate or shred both the carrot and courgette. Using a paper towel, blot out the excess water. 
2. In a large bowl, mix together your turkey, carrot, courgette, salt, pepper, and egg. 
3. With your hands, form into 5-6 patties. 
4. Begin to melt your oil on a medium heat. Once the oil is melted, fry for patties cooking for 8-10 on one side. At this stage I like to sprinkle more salt and pepper over my patties as they cook. Once one side is cooked, flip the patties over, sprinkle with more salt and pepper and fry on that side for another 8-10 minutes or until done.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 5-6 patties



No comments:

Post a Comment