Wednesday 29 April 2015

Colorful Spinach Salad

Here's a statement I never would have dreamed of saying when I was much younger:

I love salad.



I eat salad every day - sometimes for breakfast lunch, and dinner. Huge mounds of veggies topped with an endless combination of ingredients, sign me up. I'm constantly trying to sneak more vegetables into our diets because veggies are to health what air is to breathing.


People who claim to not like salads don't know what they are missing out on. Not only do you get several servings of your daily fruits and veggie requirements, but they're easy to throw together and with the right combination of ingredients, they taste great.


Maybe I should clarify here. I love good salad. Mike always laughs at the way I say 'bagged salad' because of the way I emphasize the 'bagged' part to highlight just how offensive I find it. They are just so boring and unappealing and...bleh. I get that they're easy because all you have to do is open and dump (and hopefully wash), but I've never minded taking the extra little bit of time to make a so-so food actually enjoyable.


Now, if you take that Plain Jane bagged salad and add a few things to it, now we're talking. Those bland and tasteless leaves are now the perfect vehicle for delicious food combinations. Creamy avocados, crunch sunflower seeds, tangy apples - I could happily eat this everyday. Then add a little balsamic vinegar and/or olive oil drizzled over - that's decadence.

I could get all fancy here with vinaigrettes, massaged vegetables, and roasted veggies, but I figure why not just keep it simple with easy to source foods that take less than no time to make. I can save the fluff for another time because this recipe stands up just fine on its own.


Ingredients

6 cups baby spinach (or your favorite greens)
1 pint strawberries hulled and sliced
1 apple chopped 
1 avocado sliced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Method

After you've chopped and wash everything, just throw it all in a big bowl and mix it all together. That's another reason why I love salads - so easy.

Serves 3-4 people 

No comments:

Post a Comment