Wednesday 11 February 2015

Plantain Brownies

Courtesy of my Colombian mother, I had an early exposure to plantains in life – along with arepas aka the greatest food in the entire world, but that is another love story entirely.

 Considering the number of Sunday mornings spent stuffing my face with fried plantains, I don’t quite know how I went 23 years without ever having cooked with them myself. All those years I had no idea just how versatile plantains could be. After getting a little too enthusiastic at a local market and purchasing as many plantains as I could carry, I quickly had to figure out different ways to use up my new fortune.

So tonight, we feast on brownies.



BONUS: I decided to make an almond butter drizzle to top off with because chocolate and nut butters make for such a happy union, why not? 
 

Brownie Ingredients

  • 2 yellow- black plantains, peeled and chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup (57 grams) of coconut oil, melted (you can also sub for butter if you’d like)
  • ¼ cup (85 grams)  honey
  • ¼ cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • ½ cup cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)


Method

  1.  Preheat your oven to 350F/177C
  2. Throw everything except for the cacao nibs in a blender and blend until smooth before stirring in the nibs.
  3. Pour your brownie batter into a greased 9x12 in baking glass
  4. Set in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
  5. Cool for at least 10 minutes before eating. 


Almond Drizzle Ingredients

  • 1 ½ tablespoon almond butter
  • ½ tablespoon maple syrup, or honey
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil


Method

  1. Add everything to a small sauce pot and stir at low heat until the mixture becomes slightly runny.
  2. Drizzle over cooled brownies. If you drizzle too soon, it will just melt into the chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment